Coconut water is a nature made electrolyte drink which has a nutritional composition that is ideal for our body and they are available in easily absorbable forms. It has the right balance of salts such as sodium, potassium, chloride, magnesium etc and sugars. Our body absorbs salt only in the presence of sugar molecules, for this reason commercially made hydrating drinks contain added sugars. Coconut Water is plant product and unprocessed , they are not toxic even if consumed in excess and also the chances of contamination is minimal. It is an ideal drink for all age groups and all health ailments.
1. Comparison of Nutritive Value (per cup) of Coconut Water Vs Others
|S.No||Nutrients||Coconut Water||Canned Juice||Carbonated Drink||ORS|
As mentioned in the above table the coconut water has a balanced amount of nutrients when compared to other beverages. Additionally coconut water is low in calories and also contains 2.6 gm of fiber which is absent in others. The sodium and potassium in coconut water is in its natural form whereas in ORS and canned juices are in synthetic forms which may have adverse effects on health if consumed frequently.
Other benefits of coconut water are
- no added preservatives or synthetic colours
- absence of microbial contamination
- no added flavor enhancers
- Low cost
In several studies it was found that coconut water has an antioxidant property and oxidises the free radicals thereby preventing various chronic health conditions.
- Myths and Facts of Coconut Water and Based Products :
Coconut water is nature’s flavored drink with the right amount of nutrients in it,also it is available locally and cheap where everyone can afford to buy it, enjoy the health benefits.
Benefits of consuming coconut water :
a. Hydrates the body
b. Controls high blood pressure
c. Prevents kidney stones
d. Prevents chronic diseases
e. Improves gut microflora
f. Improves heart health
g. Controls Diarrhea
h. Maintains weight
Myths and Facts :
- Coconut Water promotes weight loss : Coconut water does not stimulate weight loss, but it is an ideal low calorie drink for individuals who are in the weight loss phase. Coconut water can be a replacement for high calorie drinks such as sodas, thick shakes, and flavored drinks.
- Coconut Water is high in sugar : Coconut water contains low amounts of carbohydrates when compared to fruits juices and other drinks. 1 Cup of coconut water contains only 8.9 gm of carbohydrates ( Sugar – 6.3gm, Fiber – 2.6gm).
- Coconut Water is not an ideal hydrating drink : It is an ideal hydrating drink for people who are involved in mild to moderate exercise, but it does not suit individuals who involve prolonged duration of sports or exercise. During strenuous exercise the body loses electrolytes such as sodium, potassium and other salts via sweat, which has to be replaced as early as possible. Sodium plays a vital role in muscle contraction, low sodium levels in the body alters the heart and other organs functionality. But coconut water can also be used as an electrolyte drink after heavy workouts by adding a pinch of salt to 100ml of the coconut water.
- Coconut Water not to be consumed by pregnant women : Pregnant women can consume coconut water, but the quantity plays a major role. Pregnant women with complications such as gestational diabetes and pregnancy induced hypertension should check with their physician for the right quantity to prevent further complications.
- People with coconut allergy to avoid coconut water and based products : No people with coconut allergy are not allergic to coconut water or bases products, rather they are encouraged to consume coconut water because it helps to improve the gut microflora thereby reducing the allergic reactions
- Coconut water and its products increase cholesterol levels : Coconut water contains a minimum amount of fat which does not have any proven impact on cholesterol levels. In Fact people with heart ailments are encouraged to consume coconut water due to its high potassium content. It is restricted only in patients with high blood potassium levels.
- Coconut Water no to Diabetic Patients : Coconut water can be consumed by diabetes in quantities recommended by the physician inorder to prevent sudden spike in blood sugar level.
- Coconut Water is the same as plain water : Coconut water is always a better option than water as an hydrating drink because along with sugars it also contains certain salts which helps to maintain the electrolyte balance in the body. Plain water only replaces the water lost through sweat and not electrolytes. Electrolyte imbalance in the long run may affect the regular functions of the organ which may be fatal.
Thus, coconut water is a economical natural energy drink which suits individuals of all age groups without any toxic effects.